Wednesday, March 09, 2016

Weekend Getaways, Just some Thoughts.

            I know I talk a lot about cruise vacation.  I guess it’s because I really love to cruise, it’s the clear blue water, fresh air, the ports, the food, the entertainment… there is so much to do.  I can do it all or I can do nothing, just nap by the pool or in my comfortable stateroom.  This last week I met with a new member of my team.  She is going to upgrade my website and she gave me some great marketing ideas.  But one thing she said to me that got me thinking, “you know, have you ever through about short trips where people could just get away for a day or two?”  Well, I hadn’t really.
 But what about it?  What would be a great short trip, just a couple days where you could unwind just a bit?  Well, of course there is the beach.  I love the beach, I love the water, I love to fish, I love to watch people… but I don’t love the sand.  For days after I get back, I’m finding beach sand everywhere!  How about a nice quant Bed & Breakfast.  Now there is a recipe for romance.  I have to admit, I have never stayed at a B&B, I’ve always wanted to, but it just never seems to work out.  I think it would be fun to do a murder mystery weekend, I think my wife Shirley would enjoy it, it’s defiantly something work exploring more.   Another great idea, weekend in New York City.  The “City that Never Sleeps.”  I don’t know how much rest and relaxation there would be, but it’s a chance to just forget about the daily work grind.  Take in a Broadway Show, do some shopping, visit the great sites… The possibilities are endless.
A couple years ago, we actually went to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.  It was a lot of fun, the night before we went to Central Park and watched them blow up the world famous balloons.  Visited all the unique stores in Times Square. We had Thanksgiving Dinner at a local restaurant that was very tasty.  It was great to spend time with family and friends, we had a good size group.  I would love to do it again, very fun weekend.  But how could you not have fun in NYC, there is always something going on.
I guess one of my favorite places to visit is Washington D. C.  From the 1st time I visited I was hooked.   All the National Museums are free and there is so much to see and do.  Every time I have been there, I have tried to see and do too much.  I think in D.C. one should pick out something you want to see or do and just focus on that.  For instance, if you wanted to visit the Air and Space Museum, there is so much there just spending a few hours there, you miss so much.  That would be a great weekend trip, just focus on Air and Space.  I think it would take about a week to read and view all the displays, but all day Saturday and most of the day Sunday you could hit the highlights.  But the other’s like the National Museum of Art, National History Museum, The National Museum of Natural History, any of the Smithsonian museums are a good weekend trip, just focus on one, you can always go back.  One thing, many of the monuments are fun to visit in the evening and they are not as crowded.
And of course there is always a baseball weekend.  Washington, Baltimore, Atlanta… whatever MLB team is near you, baseball is always a fun weekend.  It’s a great time to get way with the family or just a father/son trip.  These times are always thought about throughout your lives.  Spending a day at the ball park, with a hotdog, nachos, and someone you love just can’t be beat.  I encourage my readers to take the time, even if you say, “I never have time!” you must take the time to live, not just work.  The people around you, your spouse, son, or daughter appreciate your work for the family, but they appreciate your time.  Please, set aside some time for them and yourself.   Steven Covey in his book, “The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People” list the 7th habit, “Sharpen the Saw.”  Think about it.. You’re going to cut down a tree, would it be better to just grab the axe or saw and just start cutting with a dull blade?  Or would it be better to take 30 minutes and sharpen the edge?  When we get away and sharpen our saw, we are able to cut through life a little easier.


Rick

No comments: